Canada Could Finally Be Seeing The Light About Vaping!
Canada so far has a taken a slow and educated look at vaping and the regulation of e-cigarettes in all its provinces. Earlier this year, Canada passed a law which prevented manufacturers and all retailers of vaping products from making any unauthorized health statements about e-cigarettes and vaporizers. These included claims that vaping or e-cigarettes were safer than traditional cigarettes or healthier than smoking traditional cigarettes.
Now, the Canadian government is looking at exactly what vaping businesses and manufacturers can say about their vape product. The new Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (TVPA) is the first e-cigarette-based legislation passed by the Canadian government. This new law makes it legal for retailers to sell e-liquid which contains nicotine legal. Before this law was passed, retailers were existing in a grey area where it wasn’t illegal, but not legal either.
It was on September 4th that Matthew Cook, the manager of the Regulations Division of Health Canada Tobacco Products Regulatory Office asked for input from stakeholders about the claims made by vaping and e-cigarettes. “We would like to consult with you,” wrote Cook, “on a series of proposed statements that compare the health effects arising from the use of a vaping product or its emissions with those of a tobacco product (please see the attached document for a list of proposed statements). These statements could be permitted under the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (TVPA) for use in the promotion of vaping products.”
In a very surprising twist, Health Canada is looking at a sensible approach to vaping compared to their counterparts at the American FDA. Canada looks to be taking more advice from their counterparts in the British government who have also taken a very measured approach to vape and vaping regulation.
The following are the statements which have been proposed by Health Canada:
- If you are a smoker, switching completely to vaping is a much less harmful option
- While vaping products emit toxic substances, the amount is significantly lower than in tobacco smoke
- By switching completely to vaping products, smokers are exposed to a small fraction of the 7,000 chemicals found in tobacco smoke
- Switching completely from combustible tobacco cigarettes to e-cigarettes significantly reduces users’ exposure to numerous toxic and cancer-causing substances
- Completely replacing your cigarette with a vaping product will significantly reduce your exposure to numerous toxic and cancer-causing substances
- Switching completely from smoking to e-cigarettes will reduce harms to your health
- Completely replacing your cigarette with an e-cigarette will reduce harms to your health
All the different statements which have been proposed acknowledge that low risk of vaping and e-cigarette use when compared to that of smoking. Some statements are more appealing and easier to swallow than others, but all take a very different approach when compared to the American approach to vaping legislation.