Salt Nicotine What Is It?
01 May 2018
Curious about what salt nicotine is and how to get started? Let’s check out everything there is to know about salt nicotine!
This is the beginner’s guide to nicotine salts! As vaping gains traction and gets more and more popular with every passing day, innovation is fueled by expansion. Ten years ago, we had basic disposable e-cigarettes, now we have hugely powerful vaporizers that are capable of sub-ohm vaping with some amazing e-liquid flavors. The biggest problem which has faced vaping is finding a balanced level between vapor production and costs, versus those vapers that just want a high-quality vaporizer which is discreet but still satisfies their need to stay off traditional cigarettes.
Nicotine salts are the way that vapers can breach that growing divide between vapor production and costs. There is a big difference between the standard freebase nicotine which is found in most e-liquids and nicotine salts. It’s the difference between freebase nicotine and nicotine salts which set the two apart.
Freebase nicotine is the same nicotine which has been used in traditional cigarettes for decades now. It’s a mixture of nicotine and ammonia designed to maximize the effects of the nicotine. A handy little trick if you’re looking to sell more of your product. It’s also used in nicotine replacement products such as patches, nicotine gums, and sprays. Freebase nicotine is simply added to e-liquid mixtures along with propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and flavoring. It’s the freebase mixture of nicotine which delivers smoker’s looking to quit smoking with their nicotine fix to help them get over cigarettes for good.
Nicotine salts are made from the same nicotine which is found naturally in tobacco plants. If you used nicotine like this in all our e-liquids, we would have to pump our vaporizers up to ridiculous temperatures in order for the nicotine solution to be effective. Like the modified freebase nicotine, nicotine salts need a little help for them to be a viable solution. Freebase nicotine has a high pH level, giving it a stronger throat hit. When you add something with a lower pH like Benzoic acid, it lowers the pH balance of nicotine making it much smoother. This means that you can vape higher nicotine levels, up to 50mg, in smaller less powerful e-cigarettes without the harshness.
Nicotine salts aren’t without their disadvantages, however, but what is a negative to one person, may be just what someone else is searching for.
Advantages of Nicotine Salts:
- More satisfaction from your vaporizer, helping to overcome the cravings for cigarettes when you first quit smoking and start vaping.
- Smoother vapor hits that aren’t harsh like freebase nicotine e-liquids that have high levels of nicotine in them.
- Nicotine salts don’t overpower the flavor of e-liquid as traditional high-level nicotine mixtures do.
- Nicotine salts are more affordable for many vapers because of the fact that you don’t need a powerful vaporizer device to take advantage of them.
Disadvantages of Nicotine Salts:
- The nicotine can be overpowering for light smokers or vapers that are only vaping in the 3 to the 6mg range. If you want low nicotine, then you may want to avoid salt nicotine.
- Fewer choices when it comes to devices and vapor production. Nicotine salts aren’t for vapers chasing clouds; they are sure to give you a big hit of nicotine without all the fancy vaping gear. They are purely a function of fashion choice for many vapers.